For those of you who have been following the 5:2 diet or have heard about it, you know that the trick to its success is eating low-calorie recipes on the two days that you fast each week.
The recipes I share are recipes that I love to eat. They are low-calorie recipes that keep me feeling full and satisfied so that I am not thinking about other temptations.
A classic lunchtime staple is Tuna Salad. But I was starting to feel a little uninspired from the old can of tuna and mixed greens. I had fallen into the habit of eating this quick meal when life was a little more crazy than normal. (You know those times when you just need to put your head down and not think just do.)
It was my mission to find new low-calorie recipes under 200 calories to add to my weekly meal plans. The rule was that it had to be quick, tasty and versatile.
Read below to discover how you to can achieve fasting success by giving my new Tuna Salad recipe a whirl.
I discovered that what I thought was old and boring is new and exciting again – thanks to new flavor combinations.
Tuna and Egg Salad
- 4 egg whites, hard-boiled (68 calories)
- 1 egg, whole, hard-boiled (125 calories)
- 3 stalk celery, finely chopped (18 calories)
- 3 tbsp light mayo (105 calories)
- ¼ cup spring onions sliced finely or 3 stalks (14 calories)
- 1 x 185g / 6.5oz of canned tuna (in water, drained) (140 calories)
- salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning (0 calories)
- a squeeze of lemon juice (1 calorie)
- 8 iceberg lettuce leaf cups (8 calories)
- Take the hard boiled egg, egg whites, spring onions and celery in a chopper. Blitz or chop until finely diced.
- Add seasoning, mayonnaise, lemon juice and a small pinch of paprika and combine all ingredients.
- Let chill for about 2 hours so it’s firm and holds shape.
- Taking an iceberg lettuce peel off 8 leaves. Trim edges and use leaves as cups or wraps.
- Take 2 lettuce leaves and ½ cup of tuna and egg mix and place in a lettuce cup, wrap and enjoy.
Calories: approx. 120 calories per serving
Servings: 4 (serving size 2 lettuce cups) **
(calorie count can vary slightly depending on brand of tuna)
Just like a tuna salad wrap minus the carbs and extra calories.
NB: A few sprigs of herbs or a couple of shakes of chili flakes and spices can be added for more flavor and minimal change to calorie count.
Variants include Chili Flakes, Dill, Parsley or Thyme.
NOTE: To cut down the fat content and calorie count, you can replace the mayo with plain thick Greek yogurt.
Hope you like it. Please write a comment and let me know your thoughts.
Other great tasting low calories recipes can be found in the Healthy & Delicious Low-Calorie Recipe Book. The simple healthy recipes are easy to prepare and will ensure it takes the stress, hassle, and frustration out of following another diet plan.