While I do believe that the 5:2 diet plan is easier than many of the other diets around at the moment, you may notice that some days can be harder than others. It really can test your commitment and determination sometimes.
One thing I like about this diet plan is that you can eat pretty well anything you want (within reason) on your non-fasting days. It’s not like other diets where you have to give up everything for x weeks. 2 days a week of going without and pushing yourself a little is manageable.
How easy people find the 5:2 fasting diet plan varies quite a lot. For me, some days are harder than others. But there are a few things that can help.
When you are struggling, it helps to remember why you really want to lose the weight. Use this as motivation to push on. With a big enough ‘why’, then I believe anything is possible. That’s why I recommend the Tony Robbins programs (I can recommend the Get The Edge program, especially day 2). He is great for anyone that is having a difficult time making changes in their life. I remember the very 1st time I ever saw him… it was at a live event, and my life has never been the same since. So I can definitely recommend his stuff.
5:2 Diet Plan Fasting Day Tips
There are numerous other things you can do to make fasting days easier, so check out and try some of these tips if you haven’t already:
- Snacks are important. I can’t survive without them
- Try different things, and mix it up a little. What works for one person may not work as well for another. For example, try different size meals. If you are sleeping ok, then maybe try a smaller dinner and have a larger lunch
- Have a look at the foods that you are consuming. Maybe you can find lower calorie alternatives, meaning that you can have bigger meals to help you through
- Drink plenty of water (2L/day is great)
- Protein is good, as it helps suppress your hunger (eg. mix a can of tuna into your salad for lunch)
- Get a buddy. It helps with your commitment
- Keep busy. If you are counting down the minutes to the next meal, then time will drag on
- Get out and exercise. Tied in with keeping busy, it takes your mind off things, makes you feel good, get some fresh air… exercise is very important. It can really fast track your weight loss
- Another critical point is to watch what you eat on non-fasting days. Don’t over-eat or make up for fasting days on your days off. Give your system a rest. It will crave sweets less and make your fasting days easier
There is always a healthier alternative. Whether you are on a fasting day or not, just think… Is this nourishing me? Is this cleansing me or clogging me?
Having said all that, I truly believe that what is going on in your mind is so important. If you don’t have the right mindset, then you can have the best intention, but you will never follow through. Make sure you check out Tony’s program here.
So, if you are having a bad 5:2 fasting day and struggling a little, please keep at it. I truly believe this can work for you. It definitely makes you more aware, which can then lead to permanent lifestyle changes that have massive flow-on effects.
Good luck with it. And I hope to hear of your successes soon.
ps. If you have any other 5 2 diet plan tips that work for you, please share below so that we can all help each other…