Beets have always been a favorite of mine. I can still remember my grandmother’s pickled beets being a treat at dinners. Luckily, beets are also very healthy for you, and with feta, this salad is a great filler meal that is also healthy.
Steaming the beets make them soft and warm in good contrast with the feta. They can also be baked for a slightly different flavor.
This recipe serves two people.
Total calories: 235 per person.
- 3 Medium Beet Roots (2″ diameter or approx 240g/8.5oz) (105 calories)
- 1 small red onion (minced) (28 calories)
- 120g/4.2oz Salad Greens (mixed or spinach only) (28 calories)
- 100g/3.5oz Feta cheese (264 calories)
- 1 tsp olive oil (40 calories)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (5 calories)
- Pepper to taste (0 calories)
- Gently clean the beets without over-scrubbing or peeling. Chop into ¼” pieces.
- Place in a steamer (or boil in a pot of water). Steam until you can gently push a fork into the cubes, then pour into a strainer to cool down and dry off.
- In a bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Spread out the salad greens onto two plates, top with the onion, then the beets, followed with the crumbled feta.
- Drizzle the oil/lemon juice mix evenly, and enjoy your Warm Beet and Feta Salad.
Calories: 235 per serving
Tip: Cut back on the feta to cut back on the calories.